University of Montana Knowles Hall
Location: Missoula, MT
Originally built in 1962, Knowles Hall is undergoing extensive renovation to approximately 49,700 square feet of the existing building with roughly 1,000 square feet of new space.
The building’s mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and IT systems will all be updated. The mechanical scope includes a new heating hot water system and the elimination of the steam distribution system. Optimized cooling will be added to common spaces within the building. Electrical upgrades within the building includes new power distribution to dorm rooms and new lighting throughout.
- Academic collaboration spaces and large conference room;
- Small conference room and elder meeting spaces; flex space for future offices;
- Student room with kitchen, childcare area, library, computer room and study carrels;
- Cultural activities center with gathering area for day-to-day student study and meeting use and for larger presentations, meetings, banquets and tribal gatherings;
- Large storage area to serve the multi-functionality of the building;
- Exterior interpretative trail system for education on native plants as well as tribal narratives;
- Lower level for program growth space, utilities and additional storage;
- Space for Native American Studies administration and faculty, the Senior Diversity and Inclusion Officer and counseling offices;